BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN BIOLOGY
About The Course
The BS Biology major in Medical Biology is a 4-year specialized undergraduate program of the Tagum Doctors College that provides a well-rounded academic experience in the biological sciences in preparation for medical school. Overall, the program is structured as a specialized framework of study with the end view of grounding students with the fundamental concepts, principles, and theories of the biological, natural, and physical sciences and the conduct of research that are applied to biomedical sciences. This includes the acquisition of appropriate skills and training in the efficient processing and presentation of information in both written and oral form. In their first few years, the medical biology program exposes the students to various fields in biology such as Botany, Zoology, Genetics, Microbiology, Biomolecules, and Ecology to provide a solid fundamental understanding of the biological sciences. Starting their third year, the students will be exposed to courses which are aligned to the study of medicine. The course offers basic biomedical science subjects such as Human Anatomy, Physiology, Developmental Biology, Epidemiology and Public Health, Medical Microbiology, Medical Parasitology, Medical Histology, Immunology, Pharmacology, General Pathology and Molecular Medicine. These specialized courses during their later part of their study will fully prepare the students with the necessary knowledge, attitude and problem solving skills as they embark into the medical field.
The department envisions a collaborative, intellectual and leadership culture to cultivate academic enrichment and integrity.
The department aims to produce globally competent solution-seeking graduates with strong foundation in the natural sciences applying it in real-world problems
The graduates have the ability to:
1. Demonstrate effective scientific and technical communication through oral and in writing using both English and Filipino languages.
2. Articulate the latest developments in the fields of the natural and biological sciences
3. Demonstrate and apply analytical, critical, and problem-solving skills using the Scientific Method and applying scientific reasoning by analyzing biology-related issues
4. Develop an in-depth understanding of the basic principles governing the science of life
5. Utilize techniques/procedures relevant to biological research work in laboratory or field settings
6. Interpret scientific data and reflect on relevant scientific and ethical issues
7. Develop skills in leadership and decision making in problems faced in biological and health sciences
8. Extend knowledge and critically evaluate current views and theories in various areas of the biological sciences